Sunday, June 30, 2013

Tucking in

SINGAPORE — It has been quite a while since we saw Chris Tucker in what was probably his most memorable gig: The three Rush Hour films, playing detective James Carter opposite Chinese superstar Jackie Chan.

But fans here will get a chance to see him once again when Tucker pops into Singapore as part of his stand-up comedy world tour, The Return Tour, on June 25 at the Kallang Theatre. Don’t expect him to reenact scenes from his movies though.

“I do a lot of improvisation and tell stories about my life. There is a lot of that. And I get to do a lot of characters. It’s different from a movie, when you have to play only one character throughout and there’s a script for you to follow,” he said over the phone, although he added that he would often ad lib his lines in the movies.

“Oh yeah, I do. I mean, I would try to make the character mine, and I think that doing stand-up, because I act a lot in stand-up, actually prepared me for doing movies.”

Tucker started being interested in comedy ever since he was in school. “I was always the class clown. Some of my friends said I was like Eddie Murphy and I didn’t understand the implications of that at the time, I just wanted to be funny and be the class clown,” he said.

While he may be Mr Funny Guy in the movies and on stage, don’t be surprised to find that he’s not quite like that if you bump into him on the street. “I mean, sometimes you’ll find that I’m not that funny in real life. Because you can’t be all the time. There has to be a balance, I think,” he said, adding that he tries to keep his private and public personas very separate.

Tucker certainly has his work cut out for him this year. Apart from completing his tour, he has a film being made about the tour coming out later this year, and he’s looking to do more cinematic features as well. “I’m going to be busy for the next six months or so,” he quipped.

For the full story, visit http://tdy.sg/christuckerdream.

Chris Tucker’s The Return Tour is on June 25, 8pm at Kallang Theatre.

Tickets from Sistic.

(function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) {return;} js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = "http://connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#xfbml=1"; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs); }(document, "script", "facebook-jssdk"));

View the original article here

No comments:

Post a Comment